Offering patients a fully immersive and calming MRI scanning experience with soothing lighting, music, and moving imagery to enhance comfort levels
Our new Philips Ingenia Elition MRI offers unrivalled speed and image resolution.
What is Cardiac MRI?
Cardiac MRI is commonly regarded to be the most accurate non-invasive method of assessing the structure and function of the heart; often providing more valuable information than other imaging methods such as X-ray or Ultrasound.
A cardiac MRI is useful for checking any problems with your heart, including:
- Congenital heart disease
- The condition of your heart valves
- Damage to your heart after a heart attack
- The amount of healthy heart muscle if you have heart failure
- Reduced blood flow to the heart muscle that may cause chest pain (angina)
- Coronary heart disease
You don’t need to do anything special to prepare for your scan; a few simple instructions below:
- On the day of your appointment you will need to arrive about 15 minutes before your appointment time.
- Leave valuable possessions, such as jewellery and watches, at home.
The Scan/What to expect
The scan will take approximately 5-10 minutes.
- You may be required to wear a hospital gown and remove any items that have metal (for example, glasses, jewellery, and watches).
- You may also be asked to hold your breath during the scan to avoid blurry images.
- The radiographer may ask you to change position to allow images from different viewpoints.
After the scan
Patients are able to leave immediately after their x-ray and can carry on with their normal activities.
Results are usually ready within 24-48 hours and sent to the referring clinician. All patients are supplied with a CD consisting of the images from their scan.